Dr. Fan Lin is currently the Director of Anatomic Pathology, Geisinger Medical laboratory (GML) at Geisinger Health System in Danville, Pennsylvania, one of the largest state-of-the-art healthcare systems in the U.S. He serves as a reviewer for many pathology journals and also as an associate editor for the Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine (APLM), the official journal of the College of American Pathologists- the largest pathology association in the world. He is also the president-elect of the Chinese American Pathologists Association for 2015-2017.
Dr. Lin has authored more than 80 articles in peer-reviewed pathology journals and presented more than 150 posters/platform presentations at pathology society meetings. He leads the Geisinger anatomic pathology group in making contributions to the field of immunohistochemistry (IHC), including publishing the Handbook of Practical Immunohistochemistry—
Dr. Lin received his MD degree from Fujian Medical University (Fuzhou, the People’s Republic of China) in 1984 and his PhD in Biological Sciences under Dr. Gary E. Wise from the University of North Texas (Denton) in 1992. He completed an anatomic pathology/clinical pathology residency at the University of Chicago Hospital in 1999, followed by a one year cytopathology fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas.
Dr. Lin is a great supporter to AAFMUA, actively participating in the AAFMUA Education Foundation and promoting clinical exchanges with FMU. He has been a Guest Professor of FMU since 2000. For the past decade, Dr. Lin has given many lectures for the pathologists at FMU and has closely collaborated with Dr.晋雯 in the Department of Pathology at FMU. They published the book titled “实用细针穿刺病理学” in Chinese, and organized a FNA (fine needle aspiration) workshop at FMU, both of which have impacted the field of diagnostic cytopathology in Fujian and in China.
Dr. Lin is an outstanding individual and a great leader. It is rare to find an individual who has both academic leadership achievements in combination with administrative experience. Being his classmate, colleague and friend, I am very proud of what he has accomplished and look forward to his continued success in the future.
Dr. Lin’s selected publications and books:
- Lin F and Staerkel G: Cytologic criteria for well-differentiated adenocarcinoma of pancreas in fine needle aspiration specimens. Cancer Cytopathol 2003; 99:44-50.
- Lin F, Zhang PL, Yang XJ, et al. Human Kidney Injury Molecule-1 (hKIM-1): A Useful Immunohistochemical Marker For Diagnosing Renal Cell Carcinoma and Ovarian Clear Cell Carcinoma. A J Surg Pathol 2007;31:371-381.
- Lin F, Shi J, Liu H, Hull ME, Dupree W, Prichard JW, Brown RE, Zhang J, Wang HL, Schuerch C. Diagnostic Utility of S100P and von Hippel-Lindau Gene Product (pVHL) in Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma-With Implication of Their Roles in Early Tumorigenesis. Am J Surg Pathol. 2008;32 (1):78-91.
- F Lin, J Shi, H Liu et al. Immunohistochemical detection of the von Hippel-Lindau gene product (pVHL) in human tissues and tumors: a diagnostic marker for metastatic renal cell carcinoma and clear cell carcinoma of the ovary and uterus. A J Clinical Pathology 2008;129:592-605.
- Haiyan Liu, Jianhui Shi, Vasuki Anandan, Hanlin L. Wang, David Diehl, Joseph Blansfield, Glenn Gerhard, Fan Lin. Reevaluation and identification of the best immunohistochemical panel (pVHL, maspin, S100P, IMP-3) for adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. Archives of Path and Lab Med. 2012;136:601-609.
- Haiyan Liu, Jianhui Shi, Myra L.Wilkerson, Fan Lin. Immunohistochemical evaluation of GATA3 expression in tumors and normal tissues – a useful immunomarker for breast and urothelial carcinomas. AJCP 2012;138:57-64.
- Dana T. Timek Jianhui Shi, Haiyan Liu, Fan Lin. Arginase-1, HepPar-1, and glypican-3 are the most effective panel of markers in distinguishing hepatocellular carcinoma from metastatic tumor on fine needle aspiration specimens. AJCP 2012;138:203-210.
- Adelina Luong-Player, Haiyan Liu, Hanlin L Wang, Fan Lin. Immunohistochemical Re-evaluation of Carbonic Anhydrase IX (CA IX) Expression in Tumors and Normal Tissues. AJCP 2014;141:219-225.
- Lin F, Shi J, Zhu S, Chen Z, Li A, Chen T, Wang HL, Liu H. Cadherin-17 and SATB2 Are Sensitive and Specific Immunomarkers for Medullary Carcinoma of the Large Intestine. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2014;138:1015-1026.
- Fan Lin and Haiyan Liu. Application of immunohistochemistry in undifferentiated neoplasms/tumor of uncertain origin. Review article. Archives of Path & Lab Med. 2014; 138:1583-1610.
Atlas of Practical Application of Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy. Chinese version edited by Fan Lin, Wen Jin, Jun Zhang, Haiyan Liu. Beijing, China: Chinese Academic of Sciences Publisher (www.sciencep.com); June 2008.
Handbook of Practical Immunohistochemistry – Frequently Asked Questions. Edited by Fan Lin, Jeff Prichard, Haiyan Liu, Myra Wilkerson, and Conrad Schuerch. Springer, June 2011.
Handbook of Practical Immunohistochemistry – Frequently Asked Questions. 2nd edition. Edited by Fan Lin, Jeff Prichard, Haiyan Liu, Myra Wilkerson, Zongming Chen, and Conrad Schuerch. Springer, January 2015.
关小明 (Xiaoming Guan) MD,PhD
担任现职之前，关医生曾于2005年在美国纽约西奈山医学院 (New York Mount Sinai Medical University) 附属St. Joseph 医院接受妇产科住院医生以及总住院医生培训。
- Guan X, Urh A, Walsh TM, Ng V. Hand-assisted total laparoscopic hysterectomy of a 5200-gram uterus. CRSLS e2014.00313. DOI: 10.4293/CRSLS.2014.00313.
- Xiaoming Guan, Robert Zurawin. Interventional Radiology Wire- Guided Balloon Dilataion for Treatment of Cervical Stenosis. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology 2011, Nov ,18(6), Supplement, S22-S23.
- Xiaoming Guan, Robert Zurawin. Robotic sacrocolpopexy with rectopexy for the combined treatment of rectal and pelvic organ prolapse. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology 2011, Nov ,18(6), Supplement, S177.
- Sam Hessami, Khaled Hassan, Xiaoming Guan, Fares Diarbakerli, Marcus Yung. False negative rate of urodynamic testing in diagnosing occult incontinence with advance prolapse. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology (2008); 15(6): S26-27.
- Xiaoming Guan, John K.-J. Li, Gary Drzewiecki, Sanaz Norgard, Mala Trivedi, Joseph Kedem. Uncoupling of Muscle Shortening from Contraction Force in Intact Heart. Cardiovascular Engineering 2005, June; 5(2):45-52.
(August 29, 2015)